Thursday, July 11, 2013

Busy, busy, busy

I am so embarrassed that I haven't posted anything in so long....but now I have plenty to post and I am having trouble finding time to post....
 
See this...it's the start of our new class schedule.
On June 23rd we had an open house at Mama's Quilt Shop
and so many wonderful quilters dropped by to say hello...
and I didn't get one picture...
I was too busy talking to everyone about all the new classes, clubs and demos we have planned for the rest of the year.
 
Brenda has given me permission to keep the quilt shop open late every Thursday night so that people (like me) who work all day can come and sew and learn new techniques.
So here goes...
Second Tuesday night of every month we will be having
"Color My World Crazy"
These were some of my examples of color...this is such a fun little pattern...and goes together so quick...I have gotten to the point that I can cut out 6 blocks and put them back together in an hour.  You get such a good feeling when you finish them.  Each month we will pick a different color and make six blocks....everyone can bring them scraps or pieces of their stash and trade them around.  The whole point is to use up your stash and have a lot of fun.
These would make fabulous lap quilts or charity quilts.
On the 3rd Thursday night of every month we will be making a string quilt....again the whole point is to use up our stashes and scraps.  I haven't made one of these yet and I am so looking forward to learning this technique.
 
On the 4th Thursday night we will be making a star quilt.  Each month we will make two different stars for our quilt.  We will be learning new techniques.  We will be supplying the fabric so that the quilt matches when we finish.
 
Not only will every Wednesday be Sit 'n' Sew day....all day....but on the 2nd Tuesday of every month we will have the UFQ (Unfinished quilts) Night from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.  Now this is kinda like a weight loss class....You bring your machine, your unfinished project*....we take a picture of it and when you finish we take another picture.  On December 31st, the quilter with the most finished projects for the year will win a $25 gift certificate from the quilt shop.
*The project must be no more than 1/2 finished to be entered.
 
Those are the night classes....
Now for Saturday...
On July 6th I invited everyone to join me making a ragged flag wall hanging....
 
You missed it....and it was so fun...
but anytime you come by on Saturday you can see it hanging in the shop and I will be glad to explain how I made it.
 
The second Saturday of every month we will have the "Bag Lady" club....we will be making a different bag, wallet, tote, hamper, etc. every month.  The cost will never be more than $35.00 and sometimes less.  This Saturday, July 13th, we will be making a bargello bag....I can't wait....I have my fabric all ready to go....good chance to try bargello before taking on a whole quilt.
And if you show up Saturday....you can even have a piece of my birthday cake...that's right...it's my birthday and I want you to help me celebrate!  But instead of you bringing me presents....I want to give you one...so come by and wish me Happy Birthday and I will give you a small gift!
 
On the 3rd Saturday of every month we will be doing a applique class in the a.m. and the "Brown Bag Club" will meet from lunch until closing.  Bring your lunch and take part in a "mystery quilt" we will be making.  There will be a $5.00 charge for each of these activities.
 
And on the 4th Saturday of every month....oh my favorite...I will be hosting the "Breakfast Club".
It's all about the gentle art of hand embroidery...the initial fee is $20.00....to cover your beginning supplies, but after that you spend as little or as much as you want.  I want you just to come and enjoy the friendship and sharing of beautiful handwork.
I was just playing one day with my neutral crazy quilt blocks and this is what happened....I fell in love and so has everyone else who has seen it....so I am going to teach everyone to do this on Saturday mornings.
 
Now as if all of that isn't enough....July 24, 25, 26 and 27th is our anniversary celebration.
Mama's will be twelve years old....and we are so excited about having our local quilt shop and all the new classes being started we want you to come help us celebrate.
 
And look what's coming up in August....

Brenda made both of these with the same ruler....what!?!....can't wait to learn how to do this.  I love the modern version in the first picture...but the second reminds me of something my grandmother would have made....
 
And Brenda is going to teach us how to make these circles....
Fun, fun, fun!
 
Oh and remember our "Sit 'n' Sew" on Tuesday night....well look what we accomplished....

Brenda helped Patty finish this beautiful paper pieced block...now she has to figure out how she is going to use it....
and I put together my latest crazy quilt....just need to add the borders....
 
and if you can't get there at night....look what you can do during the day...
Pam has been working on her Cotton Club Block of the month club....isn't it beautiful.
 
So come join us....whenever you can...need more info....call the quilt shop or email us.
Have a great day
Martha

2 comments: